Writing is an inevitable part of life. Some people love it some people hate it and our views and feelings on writing all lead back to our experiences and strengths with it. I have never been very good at writing so I find it difficult and overwhelming sometimes.
As the world around us is changing I see how differently we write. Our writing is now divided into what form of writing we will be doing. For example, the writing we do over text messages and emails are very different and informal. From that, our writing changes depending on who we are writing to. If we are texting or e-mailing a friend then it's very informal and we include smiley faces, emoji's, improper grammar, spelling mistakes and abbreviations such as the letter 'u' instead of the word you, the list goes on and on.
When we are emailing a professor or writing a paper we make sure to use proper spelling and grammar and we read over things and prof read to make sure there are no errors.
It is interesting to see how writing has changed through different generations also. I know that it took years after texting and iPhones came out for my parents to adapt and get it and I know this is true for many other families but it seems inevitable that they got them.
I think almost all professions require individuals to have some level to writing skills so we shouldn't get carried away with our adaptation to the way we talk to people over text. It is important to continue to build and support good writing habits.

Good post. I wrote something similar to this. I like that you reference how writing has changed through different generations. It took my parents a while to get used to their iPhones as well. Now, my dad uses emoji's and I just have to laugh at how a 63 year old man is sending me a winky face! With the adaptations our parents have had to make now, it makes me think about how you and I are going to have to adapt in the future.
ReplyDeleteI like how you make a generational connection to writing and technology. The world is changing but I think that we should not lose the skills that we have learned because ultimately, that is what will help us succeed. I like how you talk about your struggles with writing as well. Maybe you can reflect on ways that you can feel more comfortable with writing. Maybe you can also incorporate how you would help a future student that you may have that dislikes writing as well. How would you change his or her view? Also, what are some good writing habits and how would you model them in a classroom along with yourself?
ReplyDelete