Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Al Capone Does My Shirts Group Meeting 2

Today, a new member, Jessica joined out group and is beginning to read Al Capone Does My Shirts. The three of us are all at different places in the book, Jessica is at the beginning, Samantha is in the middle and I have finished the book. Because we are all at different places in the book we talked about what themes we saw in the book and predictions they had.

Samantha brought up some interesting points that I hadn't thought of while reading the book which was that she thinks that Moose's mother might have a disability of her own, possibly emotional, and might have given it to Nat. I think this is possible but I also think that the reason Mrs. Flannagan is this way is because she wants to advocate as much as possible for her daughter.

Jessica thinks that the main character might be an even worse 'bad guy' because of the title. She said that "if Al Capone is making his shirts he has to be really bad. "

Samantha and I brought up the part of the book where Moose and his mom get in a fight and he feels like he has too much responsibility at home were discussing our personal experiences with this.

As for the overarching theme in the book, Samantha and I decided acceptance because of Nat. She thought acceptance on Alcatraz but I was thinking about that as well as with 105 and the school.

I really enjoyed the book and I will definitely be reading the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment