Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Free write: Should the school day be longer or shorter?

I remember hearing about my high school adding on a few minutes each year to the end of the day and it was so little that I never really payed much attention to it until now. 

Many schools have debated making the school day longer so students have a higher chance of achieving because they are there, taking in information for a longer time.

The National Education Association made some really great points on why we should or shouldn't extend the day. One big con against it was the cost and how much they would have to pay to extend the school day. The rest were mostly pros for extending the day such as teachers feeling less rushed and children have more time to learn. 

Unfortunately, we usually don't hear as much about shortening the school day. I personally am conflicted on the issue because I see it from the eyes of a student with special needs who would suffer tremendously if the day were longer. I also see it through the eyes of a care taker who's life would be easier if the bus came a little later in the day. 

I think it is important to think about how the students will react to a longer school day and maybe consider breaking it up a bit more, especially for students with special needs. A lot of times we over look the fact that they have to work so much harder in some academic areas (depending on their disability) than their peers. 

What's your opinion?

2 comments:

  1. Clarisa,

    I like the topic you chose for your free write. I personally believe that the school day should stay at about 7 hours. I think that making it any shorter wouldn't allow the teacher enough time to get done what he/she needs to, but making it longer would hurt the student.

    This was a good post, but I would suggest making your paragraphs at least 3 sentences long, and listing and explaining the pros and cons to making the school day longer provided by the National Education Association.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarisa,
    This was a great free write blog post.I liked that you used your free write to talk about a major discussion that is going on. Good job talking about the National Education Association. I also liked you talked about the pros and cons. Nice job incorporating and considering special needs students in this process. Personally, I think school days should stay the same length. I think students will be tired and inattentive if the day is longer.

    ReplyDelete