Poetry:
I have always loved reading and writing poetry. My interest with it began in the 8th grade where my teacher had us analyze so many different types of writing, one of which was poetry. I explored many different famous poets such as Edgar Allen Poe, Robert Frost, Shel Silverstein, and many more. I really enjoyed trying to interpret the messages they were sending through their poems.
Throughout 8th grade until about mid junior year I was constantly writing poems about many different challenges I was facing over the years and I kept them in a folder hidden in my closet. When I moved, I found it and I threw most of them away and I wish I hadn't done that.
I had never thought much about teaching poetry to any one else until I took this course. After reading the article about the foolproof methods of teaching poetry I can see that teaching poetry is no easy task. It seems that teaching poetry requires a certain level of appreciation of the genre in order to express our ideas and share a 'great' poem and write our own to share with our students. Looking back, I think my teacher didn't really enjoy poetry but he still gave us the opportunity to explore it.
If you are interested in poetry check out the #walkmyworld hashtag. You maybe better off just Googling it. It is a social media and poetry project we run each year. It maybe too much to play during your studies but lurking is always welcome.
ReplyDeleteHello Clarisa! It is nice to see that you enjoy poems by Edgar Allen Poe and the other authors. A lot of people don't like some authors because they really don't understand what the author is trying to say in a specific poem. I am honesty very picky when it comes to poetry authors because I do not like poems that are confusing or ones where i have to figure out what the hell i just read! I agree that you have to actually like poetry in order to teach it because it is a little challenging. I see that you really really enjoy it so you will most likely do great in teaching it!
ReplyDeleteClarisa,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you enjoy poetry and had the chance to explore it. I like that you referenced famous poets like Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe. How will you teach poetry if you had the opportunity to? I would love to see an example of your own poetry!