Children these days have been under the microscope in my opinion because of the new advances in technology. Teenagers especially have been scrutinized because they are being studied so frequently for a variety of reasons. Many of them being for test scores, the ways they use their phones, are they addicted to video games, the list goes on.
The one conflict adolescents are facing today that I want to focus on is bullying. Bullying is an issue that adolescents have been dealing with that has been around for years and years. There are lots of attempts to stop bullying and try to promote friendships at school but now the issue has gotten wider since social media plays such a huge impact on our lives today. It is sometimes difficult to leave your school issues at school these days because it is easy for the person who bullies you at home to log onto the computer and bully you from home.
I think that the consequences are heartbreaking when the child who is getting bullied decides to take matters into their own hands. Today people handle issues differently than 20 or 30 years ago. I feel very strongly about this issue because I have a brother with special needs that has gotten picked on and called names many times in school or on the bus. People don't realize that words hurt, especially to kids.
As future teachers we need to be mindful of what is going on in our classrooms. We also need to be proactive and try an foster a loving and caring classroom that everyone feels comfortable entering each day. I have heard my brother say too many times that he hates school. We should be the generation that changes that.
We should be the generation that changes this. What a strong line and a great way to end the semester.
ReplyDelete