Monday, September 15, 2014
Supporting All Literacy Learners
Supporting all learners in a literacy classroom is no easy task. You have children at all different developmental stages which makes differentiating necessary. Some children are above grade level, some below, some children with special needs, some who love reading and some who hate it. As a teacher I would have a variety of texts to accommodate all my students at their different developmental levels. I would also have a variety of genres for students to pick from so they can choose what interests them the most. I would have a comfortable reading corner with either bean bag chairs, shaggy rugs, pillows, to make it as comfortable as possible for them to enjoy reading. I would encourage my students to bring in a pillow and blanket from home to keep in their cubbies for reading time. I have seen this done successfully when I went to observe a public classroom. For kids having difficulty I would offer books on tape/CD so they can follow along while listening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment