Monday, September 8, 2014

Me as a Reader/Writer

Who am I as a reader or a writer? I am all over the place with that question. I love learning because I see how much my mother loves learning and she will always be a life long learner. She is an ESL teacher among many things so part of me feels like reading and writing should be something I'm good at.
Reading and writing are a huge part of learning however, writing is difficult for me sometimes because I obsess over trying to get the best possible grade and I am all over the place with my thoughts. It never came easy to me for many reasons. The first being that I learned English and Spanish simultaneously then came Portuguese. I spent a lot of time with my Spanish-only speaking grandmother up until around age 13. I went to four different elementary schools (K-5) almost two grades per school, private, public, magnet, each school had different expectations of me and I progressing at a normal pace in all academic areas. In 7th,8th, and 9th grades I had really good language arts teachers who made me appreciate reading and writing. In these classes we focused less on boring texts and we were able to read more for pleasure and do assignments based off the books we chose. There was a plethora of books to choose from and we were able to work in groups in certain assignments if we chose the same book as anyone else in the class. Another thing I enjoyed was when we studied Shakespeare we were given a book with the Old English and the modern writing to help us understand an appreciate the book. We also looked at Roman and Greek mythology which I find very interesting.
I feel more comfortable writing in a blog because it's more casual and I can express myself in a more relaxed setting, I don't feel like I am being judged in the same critical eye as I would if I were writing a research paper. 

Thanks! 

Clarisa

1 comment:

  1. Speaking so many languages means you can walk into a job. I prefer blogs, but not over research papers. They have their own purpose. I stress blogging with my students for a few reasons.

    Reflective practice is the cornerstone of great teaching. Blogging embeds this activity into your every day. You many not be as honest with yourself (when compared to a private journal) but having access to so many connections online makes up for this in available resources.

    ReplyDelete