Wednesday, September 10, 2014
My Perfect Classroom
I bet most soon to be elementary school teachers picture their perfect classroom as spacious room with an extensive library with comfy seats, ipads or computers, brand new desks and student work displayed around the room as well as colorful posters and fun things hanging from the ceiling. Looking at this room would be a special education teachers' nightmare. For me, my ideal room would be about half the size of a regular ed class with a SmartBoard, and plenty of access to sensory objects like stress ball or things that kids can use as calming tools. I would love to decorate half the room with non over stimulating materials maybe like student work and some fun pictures they can look at. I would also be interested in having hands on games and puzzles and the ability to make everything fun, interesting and engaging to my students. This is based off the population I work with currently, the moderate to severe kids with special needs, which is the population I want to work with after I graduate. My second perfect classroom would be somewhere in South America where I can give my students with special needs resources like books, food, help learning to read and write and tell time and maybe even learn English. This classroom I would decorate by displaying their work around the room, I would also like to have computers and Ipads so they can learn using technology and be motivated to work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought the juxtaposition of a typical perfect classroom with your vision was a smart strategy to engage in the audience.
ReplyDeleteI do think you should try to break your paragraphs up into more shorter concise elements.
Without additional paragraphs it will seem to your audience you are all over the place. Especially when discussing in the technology. ItYou start by saying you don't need anything but a SmartBoard. You conclude by saying you want computers and iPads. This may have to do with the South American classroom. It would be easier for your audience to know if they were more than one paragraph.
My own opinion to Smartboards is that they are no longer a necessary expense. I would much rather have an iPad or Tablet that casts directly to the screen. It is cost effective and more pedagogically sound.
Technology will only continue its growth in the field of special education. The advances in adaptive technology alone will help countless more students. Many who have never communicated before.
There is also the added knowledge and practices associated with these new digital tools. Special Education teachers need to develop innovative scaffolds to help everyone keep up in our networked society.